Saturday, October 12, 2013

Week 2

This week went really fast! It's incredible how quickly its gone.

Last Sunday, after church and lunch, I went to town again and met one of my friends. We walked around and then had... well, I suppose you could call it tea... except I had a decaf latte and cheesecake.
It was super delicious and like half my dinner.
On the way back to campus, we saw a hot air balloon. The colors were amazing and amazingly vivid.
Then on Monday, I went on a tour of the Minster with some people from my Public History class (for class). It was basically a field trip, before we really had started class.
So, yes another picture of Constantine. But, hey, it's cool. Also, there's a museum under the Minster (the Undercroft Museum) and you can pretty much stand where Constantine's soldiers decided he was emperor (I kinda freaked out... it was cool).
 This is the inside of the Minster, where people sit.

I took more pictures but they aren't very good. I'm probably going to go back at some point because I get in free.

Wednesday was my first day of actual class. It went really well. My first class only has four students so there's a lot of discussion time per person. I think I did well. Luckily Augie prepared me really well for that sort of environment. I'm not saying I was a rockstar, but I didn't sound stupid and I gave opinions. My second class went alright as well. It was interesting. At one point we touched on history in America and it was weird hearing ideas about American history from people decidedly not from America. The closest were the three Canadians. I think it will be interesting to see how this trend develops.

I spent most of the rest of my week reading. I've been to the library twice and it's a pretty long walk so I think I might try to find some other places to study (not that there's a shortage).

Thursday I walked to the King's Manor campus in town and then back by way of a bank and a grocery store, but I forgot my camera. So, here are some other random pictures!

This is part of the pond on campus and a building (I'm not sure which one).
This is the first building the university had, Heslington Hall. It's named after the village nearby. Its an old manor house.
 This is Wentworth College D block, where I live. It's a great view. This is from the bridge I can see from my room.
 This is a gate thing next to the Minster.
 This is a plaza-y type area behind the Minster. I'm not entirely sure how old the buildings are because they all look different even though they are connected.
And another picture of the Minster with Constantine. Just for fun!

2 comments:

  1. Are you using my camera? The colors look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I am. It does tell me I'm shaking when I;m not sometimes but generally it works well.

    ReplyDelete