Monday, October 21, 2013

Mid-October Already!

So, it's mid-October already! Well, I suppose it's late October, but whatever. The last week hasn't been very exciting. Mostly I've been reading, which is not surprising considering academic history is pretty much only reading (even when doing research).

I do have to pick topics for my formative assessments (aka midterm essays that aren't graded). I've been thinking about a couple topics. For my public history class, I've been considering contested pasts, commemoration/memorials, and the role of historical narratives in the US. It would be kind of interesting, but I have to think about it a bit more first. As for my essay for my evolution and society class... I'm not sure. This week we are talking about evolution and religion, specifically the idea of a war between the two (side note: the "war" is imposed on history making the differences seem more rigid than they are). I'm kind of fascinated by the religiosity of early evolutionary (transitional) biology. This one wouldn't focus on the US. We'll see.

In other news: I've met/hung out with more people and am trying to be sociable. I'm still figuring out my banking situation... it's more complicated than I thought it would be... considering the amount of technology in the world and the general fluidity of capital. But whatevs... it'll get sorted eventually.

In other non-personal news: there is going to be (pretty sure) a strike on the 31st of October by the three unions associated with higher education (aka the university tutors and such). I won't really be affected because it's possible not all tutors are going to participate in the strike and, even if my tutors do participate, I don't have class on Thursday. The cool (is that the right sentiment?) part about this is that it is actually happening. I googled it and some of the "Oxford dons" are going to participate. Would this happen in the US? I don't know... I'm not sure it would. Does anybody know? But a national strike (including Wales) is... not unheard of in the US... but odd... at least for me to think about (in a current events context... historical strikes I know all about).

And lastly, the birds sign. I've seen a few black swans and they are terrifying. Like the birds of death or something... terrifying. But, every time I hear a duck quack, which is quite often, it makes me laugh because they sound like they are laughing.
If this picture is repeated I don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment